Cypriot VAT rates and VAT compliance
Cypriot VAT rates
Whilst Cyprus follows the EU rules on VAT compliance, it is still free to set its own standard (upper) VAT rate. The only proviso is that it is above 15%. Suppliers of goods or services VAT registered in Cyprus must charge the appropriate VAT rate, and collect the tax for onward payment to the Cyprus tax authorities through a VAT filling see Cyprus VAT returns briefing.
Once registered for Cyprus VAT, you will have to start following the local rules in a number of aspects. This includes:
- Issuing invoices with the disclosure details outlined in the Cyprus VAT Act.
- Electronic invoices with proper signature, authenticity and agreement by the recipient.
- Maintenance of accounts of record, which must be held for at least 6 years.
- Correct invoicing of customers for goods or services in accordance with the Cyprus time of supply VAT rules.
- Treatment of credit notes and other corrections.
- Application of foreign currency translation rates.
The current rates are:
Cypriot VAT Rates
|Rate||Type||Which goods or services|
|19%||Standard||All other taxable goods and services; land transactions for business use.|
|9%||Reduced||Some road passenger transport; domestic passenger transport by sea; hotel accomodation; restaurants.|
|5%||Reduced||Basic foodstuffs; water supplies; pharmaceutical products; medical equipment for disabled persons; childrens car seats; certain road passenger transport; books (excluding e-books); newspapers and periodicals; admission to cultural events and amusement parks; writers and composers; renovation and repair of private dwellings; some agricultural supplies; admission to sports events; domestic waste collection; hairdressing; some undertaker and cremation services.|
What is the tax point for Cypriot VAT
The tax point or time of supply rules in Cyprus determine when the VAT is due. It is then payable to the tax authorities 10 days after the VAT reporting period end (monthly or quarterly).
For most goods, it is the time of delivery or passage of title. For services, it is the completion of the service.Click for free Cypriot VAT info